Welcome!

"Atthacariya is the benevolent, or beneficial action for the common good."

Buddha

Buddha
(Photo: Declan McCullagh)
"...for the benefit of all sentient beings."

Tuesday 13 January 2009

Working Meditaiton

When I was first introduced to the practice of working meditation, it felt foreign to me. My four years in the United States Marine Corps had taught me to use work as a time to plan things out, day dream about women, question what I was doing or any number of things other than to focus precisely on the moment and what I was doing.

Now, I find pleasure in things like yard work, washing dishes, working on a car or taking care of whatever task needs to be accomplished.

Working meditation allows me to be grateful that I am physically able to take on these tasks, and to connect myself to the fact that such things must be done in order for sentient beings to prosper.

Another form of working meditation of course, is working with people, particularly those with differing viewpoints. I am finding myself more involved with the Israel-Palenstine conflict, and commentating on various sites about solutions to the chaos and violence. I have certainly come across people whose viewpoints differ from mine, and tried to reason with them and perhaps shed light unto their thought process. This can be hard when my initial reaction is to tell someone that they do not know what they are talking about, or that their viewpoint is irrational or even "stupid". I will try and post some of these here for review.

Be well.

1 comment:

Mark London said...

This is a great form of meditation. Being mindful of our activities is a way to still the mind and create skillful mind states. I'm so happy you discovered Buddhism after enduring such violence. Peace be with you my friend.
I encourage you to investigate Theravada Buddhism and the Thai Forest tradition. This is the lineage I study under and will give any Buddhist student a firm foundation on which to practice.