Welcome!

"Atthacariya is the benevolent, or beneficial action for the common good."

Buddha

Buddha
(Photo: Declan McCullagh)
"...for the benefit of all sentient beings."

Monday 12 January 2009

...peace is the way.



The recent tensions and war in between Israel and Palestine have caused tensions even in my home. This is of course unusual because no one in my family is either Israeli, Jewish, Palestinian or Muslim. Yet my step father and myself hold completely differing views on the situation.

My belief is that peace, compassion and understanding, not war, is the only solution to the crisis. That weapons must be put down, anger, aggression, revenge, and all related actions must be cast aside and peaceful co-existing must be nurtured. Too much effort is put into division, and therefore generational learned hatred is fostered in the minds of the young, whom wait for their chance to take up arms against their perceived enemies.

My step-father, a Chilean by birth , whom served under Pinochet in the Chilean military, believes that Israel must "bomb the Arabs to extinction". This is obviously an ignorant and naive statement. Violence only begets perpetual violence I tell him, to which he replies, "If you kill all them, there wont be any more violence". An interesting justification at best.

Having served in the military myself, and served under-fire in a combat zone, I know first hand that violence is not a means to an end. Violence is simply an ignorant reaction to a situation that needs to be handled tenderly and with open minds and open hearts. Encouraging understanding, compassion, and peace on a generational level, stamping out hatred, superiority, and self preservation -- that is the only way. As it is said, there is no way to peace, peace is the way.

2 comments:

Steve said...

Wow. Tremendous. I hope you are successful with your step-father. Keep persisting in your gentle manner.

They call him James Ure said...

Yeah the problem with what your father-in-law said is that you CAN'T kill all the them.

If we somehow killed them all then we'd have to kill the millions and millions of Muslims who support them and so where does the killing end?

It's a mindset that reminds me of the guy I know who said we should bomb Mecca. Yeah, good idea.