Welcome!

"Atthacariya is the benevolent, or beneficial action for the common good."

Buddha

Buddha
(Photo: Declan McCullagh)
"...for the benefit of all sentient beings."

Monday 18 December 2006

Welcome!

Welcome to my new blog. This will be used as an oultet to express my "self" concerning the world around us and how I believe we can make it a more peaceful and prosperous place where we can coexist together and increase our knowledge and understanding of the world around us. It will be a sounding board for ideas, concerns and questions.

In the Buddhist tradition I have named this blog: Atthacariya, which is a word in the buddhist teachings that expresses "beneficial action for the common good". This is one of the Buddha's four teaching on the foundations of community (Sangha Vatthu).

My teacher is AnShin AnGyo Daiosho (Claude AnShin Thomas) from the Magnolia Zen Center in Mary Esther, Florida. AnShin is a Zen Buddhist monk practicing the Soto Zen tradition, founder of the Zaltho Foundation, and a Vietnam veteran. (This is an important point, as it was the catalyst for steering AnShin towards the path of Buddhist practice and a mendicant life.) This will be my first endeavour into a full Buddhist practice. I have been reading and studying about Buddhism for the past few years while developing my spiritual path.

This is also the first big step for me towards my future as a Buddhist and a peacemaker.

May you all be well
In Gassho.
~St.John

3 comments:

Hoohah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hoohah said...

Cameron,

You are such an amazing person! If anyone can help make this world a more peaceful and pleasant place, it's you.

Love you,

Sarah

Om said...

Cam, this is your friend Bob. I am extremely proud of you for what you are doing. You were always the most unique friend of mine, and to see that you are using that unique personality to do what NEEDS to be done is tremendous. In regards to travel this coming summer, you might be interested that I am now thinking of going back India. If you come with, and decide to take Buddhism to another level, you could be a part of His Holiness the Dalai Lama's annual 10 days of teaching at his home in McLeod Ganj. Either way, please contact me and we will talk about it.

-Om Mane Padme Hum

Bob